Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

First Lines


Deciding what my first-ever blog post is going to be strikes me as a bit daunting, so I thought I would leave it to the pros. Here are a few of my all-time favorite first lines of books:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."  - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (This seems to be everyone's favorite!)
"I woke this morning with a stranger in my bed. The head of blond hair beside me was decidedly not my husband's. I did not know whether to be shocked or amused. Well, I thought, here's a novel way to begin the new century."  - Tracy Chevalier, Falling Angels
"If this typewriter can't do it, then f*ck it, it can't be done." - Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker
What are your favorites? I kept a journal of the first lines of all the books I read for a while- such a fun way to remember them! 

P.S.I have a friend who reads 
the ends of books before she starts them!! This is tantamount to sacrilege in my book. Would you dare? 

For you shoe-a-holics out there (guilty), my shoes are a kids' oxford from Nordstrom, but here's an almost identical adult version for those who aren't quite so wee-of-foot.

 
Photo by Michael Hudson for Is + Was


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Favorite First Lines?
    "Tom!" From Tom Sawyer. It's hard to beat for brevity. And for me, it evokes a whole cascade of images; time, place, people, story. Makes me want to read it again, just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete